Wednesday, April 16, 2008

The Treasures of Winter


Working in the garden today - I have 4 beds to topsoil with compost. Started digging in the bin - pure gold! Soft, crumbly, sweet smelling compost - a gardener's delight. I hauled enough pails to cover one bed. I'll let it sit a day and then fork it thru - yum. Tired out as I am out of shape from winter. Got lots of weeding done, also.

Emptied all my bags of leaves from last fall. I layered them in a "half composter" and will grow my peppers in it this summer. We get winds over the upper yard which sweep down to my garden. Kills the peppers every year. I'm hoping the black composter, soon to be a pepper nursery, will help.

Sitting here drinking water and thinking about the compost. He built me bins from wood pellets years ago. I wonder how many loads of compost have been made in it. I also have a 3' round wire cooking. Who said my life was dull:)

We have a warm, sunny day today.

4 comments:

Kim said...

My, you have been busy! I only cleaned up a tad bit of the yard, I'll leave the gardening to my hubby! Hope your peppers turn out this year.

JeanMac said...

Hi Kim - I remember a comment you made last yr that your hubby planted the garden. You can cook it:)

smilnsigh said...

You are a wonder of activity!!! And stamina!

M-N

JeanMac said...

Just crazy, that's all, M-N:)